Tuesday, August 01, 2006

the heat

the last few days my AC was "broken". i can mostly take the heat. but humidity? i cant deal with that. my wife and i didn't sleep too well. She took it worse than i did.
We bought a couple fans this weekend as we didnt get an AC guy out till today. the cats werent happy.

See, what happened was one day last week i saw water all around the AC unit in the basement. I shopped vac-ed it up, but wasnt really sure where it was coming from. Has the hot water heater bit it? is this from the rain from last weekend? I wasnt entirely sure. I supposed also that the drain from the ac unit was leaking. Still i kept the AC on. that night, there was more water and there was water INSIDE the AC. damn, not good. That prompted me to turn it off completely.

Turns out that the drain pipe was clogged. Now its fixed and my house is cooling down from todays interanal temperature of 95. tonight would have been too brutal for my northern states homeostasis. my wife would have just killed me.

i'm glad it was still under warranty.

This summer we've been keeping the AC set to 81. 79 when we're feeling luxurious. its crazy that we can really really tell the difference.

What do you keep yours set to?


and bless those people who dont have AC at all. this weather, combined with this polution, combined with all the concrete is just too brutal. even the breeze is hot.
even a cold shower is not cold..


beer in the fridge, beer mugs in the freezer.

3 comments:

jaime said...

So sorry for you! Ours broke last year, except the air handler is in the attic, and I thought the leak in the living room ceiling was something else 9I still should have paid more attention to it). Then the plaster and water came crashing down a few weeks later....Luckily it was toward the end of last summer, though we did sweat it through some rough nights with window fans. We finally had the 19-year-old unit replaced this spring and the bill is less than half compared to last year! I suppose we could do even better than that though; we're usually set at 77-78 when we're home and 80 during the day.

rania said...

haha! yay! thanks for getting the AC fixed! I'm sure the kitties are very pleased, too!

Anonymous said...

That's great you could fix your A/C so quickly (& find what was causing the problem). My husband and I set our thermostat to 87. I know that sounds brutal but it's really not bad at all. Ceiling fans do most of the trick. :)