The DC Department of Public Works will be distributing up to five sandbags (per household) to District residents beginning 4 pm today (Wednesday, September 29, 2010) at its New Jersey Avenue and K Street, SE, site (entrance on New Jersey at I Street, SE). DPW will have employees and signage directing residents to the site entrance.
The sandbags weigh between 40 lbs. and 50 lbs. Residents will need to load them into their vehicles; however, assistance will be provided if needed. Sandbags will be distributed until the inventory is depleted.
Weather forecasters are predicting a tropical storm that could dump several inches of rain on the District over the next 24 hours. DPW offers the following tips to help residents prepare their homes for future storms:
· Clean gutters and storm drains
· Remove all outside furniture that can become airborne in high winds
· Close all windows
· Shut-down and unplug your computers, air conditioners ,televisions and other appliances
· Have an arborist check trees in your neighborhood and yards
· Check roof for any possible area that can leak
For more information about DPW, please visit www.dpw.dc.gov .
Kevin B. Twine
Department of Public Works
Office of the Director
2000 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009