ANC 5E04 June 2016 Community Update
The next ANC 5E public monthly meeting is scheduled to convene on Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 7:00 pm, Friendship-Armstrong Public Charter School, 1400 First Street, NW.
ANC 5E voted to:
Support MRP/RIA Shopping Center PUD Updates (Michael Skena) contingent upon a revision of the amenities package to reflect 14% affordable housing (203 units) for the entire project at 60% AMI.
Support ZC# 06-04D - 1600 North Capitol St NW (Florida & Q St, LLC)
- Request for a minor modification of approved plans to add penthouse habitable space.
- Request for a two-year extension of the PUD order.
Oppose BZA Applications - # 19302 – 232 S St NE – Special Exception - to convert a single family home to three condos - Hearing scheduled for July 12th- 9:30am.
Support BZA Application - #19219 - 2001 2nd St NE–Variance – Community Input Requested (Karen McAdoo) Increasing the number of apartments in a four unit building to five units.
Support Letter of Support for Edgewood Day- (Michael Clark). Edgewood Day was held at the Edgewood Recreation Center, 300 Evarts Street NE on Saturday, June 25th from 11am – 4pm.
Support Commissioner Holliday's resolution requesting a re-hearing of a limited portion of the final order on case #13-14B, (Parcel 4 of the McMillan Sand Filtration Site).
- The McMillan HPRB Hearing held on Thursday, May 26, 2016, on Public parcels, including the park, service courts and elements within those parcels that were refined since HPRB approval in October 2013, were approved.
Single Member District 5E04 meeting held on Thursday, June 9, 2016, resulted in the following actions:
- A Metropolitan Police Department 5D log book for officers to sign in and out when they visit the center during each shift. The officer's visits are designed to add a level of security at the site. The presence or potential presence, at any given time, of a 5D officer will quell some of the problematic activities residents complain about most. The new log book was dropped off at the center this afternoon.
- Officer Mark Lakomec 5D and I conducted a safety evaluation of the field and playground. We discovered that the two gates between Choice Academy and the basketball court were open. The gate between the playground and Langley Education Campus is locked. However, the lock could easily be opened with pliers. The lock must be replaced. Weeds cover the fence between the swimming pool and the playground area. For safety purposes, everyone should be able to see from one area to the other. The fence between McKinley Technology High School and the playground has a man-made opening where enough dirt was dug out under the fence a young person can crawl under the fence into the playground at night. The fence separating the alley behind T Street and the field has a man-made opening under the fence large enough for young adults to squeeze through and enter the field at night.
All of the landscaping is overgrown. The football field and pool are the only bright spots at the Harry Thomas Recreation Center. They appear to be well kempt.
The safety and landscaping issues were reported to the Department of Parks and Recreation and Department of General Services on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 and Friday, June 24, 2016.
Current Programs -- Harry Thomas Recreation Center
|Afternoon Access ( ages 11-14) |
Afternoon Access (ages 6-13)
**this is open to the community as well
|Tuesday & Thursday||Teeball|
Crimes that reported within 1000 feet of the Harry Thomas Recreation Center between 4/10/16 to 6/09/16.
Robbery excluding gun (1)
Assault dangerous weapon (ADW) excluding gun (1)
Total Violent Crime (3)
Theft F/auto (11)
Stolen Auto (2)
Total Property Crime (26)
Total Crime (29)
- Herson Glass – 72 Florida Avenue, NE – for sale.
- 22 P Street, NE – parking lot behind the Exxon at corner of Florida Avenue and North Capitol Street, NE – for sale.
- 8 P Street, NE – sold to Mihir Shah a partner in an LLC.
- 138 U Street, NE – Yang's Market – for sale – after 20 years in the Eckington community the market is closing.
- 134 – 136 U Street, NE (a church) sold last year. No activity on the property/vacant property sign posted on front door. 132 U Street LLC
- 1923 Lincoln Road, NE – home and commercial space for sale – Lincoln Market Deli currently occupies the commercial space.