Thursday, May 04, 2017

three nights left to be "drunk with hope" at The Unified Scene Theater

From: Shawn Westfall [mailto:shawn@unifiedscenetheater.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 4, 2017 12:46 PM
                                                            
Three Nights Left To Be "Drunk With Hope” at The Unified Scene Theater

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday Nights (see below) 
Just three more opportunities left this weekend to catch Tara Handron's one-woman show, “Drunk with Hope: A One-Woman Comedy About Recovery and Recovering." 

In this play, Tara plays a woman named Hope, as well as many other female alcoholics (some sober, some not-so-sober) of various ages, ethnicities, and socio-economic backgrounds. It's a work that discards clichéd depictions of recovery and relies on stories with depth, poignancy, and humor to expose the raw emotions and experiences so many alcoholic women face. But it's also a work that has its origins in, yep, improvisational comedy, as Tara explains in a recent interview with our theater: 

Tara: My improv training played an essential part in my play’s creation and development. Ann Libera, a longtime member and instructor at Second City, said to us on the first day, “This work will change you.” And it definitely did. It changed me personally, creatively, and how I approach my performing. I would improvise by myself as I created characters. I also relied on my training for moments when I went up on a line. I had close to 20 pages of monologues to learn and memorize so improv helped me to not freak out is I missed a line. In the moment, while performing, I have discovered totally new stuff depending on the space and the audience. All those little catalysts would have been wasted had I not studied improv. Also, improv gets me out of myself which is so important for a solo performer and a person in recovery. Self-centeredness can take over very easily!

Read more of Tara's interview here. Ready to purchase tickets? Choose from the list of available performances below:  
Friday, May 5th, 8 p.m. More info here and here. Get tickets here. Saturday, May 6th, 8 p.m.  More info here and here. Get tickets here. Sunday, May 7th 7 p.m. More info here and here. Get tickets here.
 
 
Shawn Westfall
Artistic Director
The Unified Scene Theater
shawn@unifiedscenetheater.com


No comments: