Sunday, May 13, 2018

Ward 5 CM McDuffie: Celebrating mothers


From: Councilmember Kenyan R. McDuffie On Behalf Of Councilmember Kenyan R. McDuffie
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2018 10:26 AM
Subject: Celebrating Mothers



Neighbors,

On this Mother’s Day, I am so proud to represent all the mothers in Ward 5 and I am proud to have worked with mothers, as well as women generally, to advance important issues for all residents of D.C. Depsite endelss demands on their time, these women are quick to rise to the occassion when asked to pull a meeting togther, or testify before the Council.

Nearly every constituency counts women and moms as members, but there are some groups where women and moms lead the charge. I'd like to share a little about two such groups on this Mother's Day.

Moms Demand Action was created to advocate for establish common-sense gun reforms. I've partnered with the D.C. chapter to advocate for full implementation of my criminal justice reform legislation, Neighborhood Engagement Achieves Results Act (or NEAR Act), D.C.’s public-health approach to violence prevention.

Moms4Moms VDC, at The Villages of Dakota Crossing has been a partner in advocating for $10 million in capital budget improvements for Fort Lincoln Park and Theodore Hagans Cultural Center in Fort Lincoln. Additionally, I have stood shoulder to shoulder with them calling for D.C. Public Schools to activate the shuttered Thurgood Marshall School in Fort Lincoln.

Finally, I would be remiss without recognizing the mothers in my office who are so invaluable to the work I do down at the Council. They help me keep the issues of mothers at the forefront of all the work that we do in front of and behind the scenes.


Chief of Staff Demetris and her daughter Zahra (top); Staff Assistant Marita and her daughter Myla (lower left); Legislative Director and Mom-to-be (any day now!) Barbara (lower right).

When it comes down to it, almost every policy area has an additional impact on women and mothers, and I appreciate their advocacy and all they do for our community. To all the mothers out there, Happy Mother’s Day!

In Service,

Kenyan



No comments: