Sunday, September 09, 2012

Tiber Creek path described in 1977 "Washington DC's Vanishing Springs & Waterways" doc

A neighbor passed along this US Department of the Interior document from 1977 title "Washington DC`s Vanishing Springs and Waterways." 
 
I have not read this document, but notice on page 7 a map of DC`s "downtown areas's original streams" -- including Tiber Creek.                              
             
There is a looong description of the Tiber Creek.
 
Perhaps interesting reading....

 

3 comments:

Todd said...

Perhaps someone with knowledge can clarify if bringing Tiber Creek back to the surface (as proposed in several McMillan redevelopment schemes) will alleviate the flooding in Bloomingdale? Currently i believe it flows under Flagler???

G. Lee Aikin said...

I own a property in the 1700 block of U St., NW. I am told that Tiber Creek flows directly under this area and that is the reason I have had to install a sump pump. Now the city has installed brick sidewalks in front of the house and with heavy rain or deep snow, water seeps into the living room. When I tried to get permission to put a waterproof patio in front of the house to replace the plantings, I was told I would have to use pervious pavers, which would just make the problem worse the city has created with the brick sidewalk.

G. Lee Aikin said...

Years ago when I bought a house in the 1700 block of U St., I was told the reason there was a sump pump in the basement was because the Tiber River ran under the area. Sure enough, one heavy ice storm the electricity was out and we had 4 inches of water in the basement. Now the city has paved the sidewalk in front of the house with bricks and water oozes into the living room when we have heavy rain or snow melt.