Click on the link to read the entire Saving Places post.
Since Bloomingdale is mulling neighborhood Historic District designation, Bloomingdalians might wish to read the article below.
Here are Eight Tips for Understanding Historic Districts & Their Complexities http://savingplac.es/1SPOtzW
7:55 PM - 15 Mar 2016
1. Historic districts help strengthen communities and attract people back to cities.
2. ”Historic preservation districts help tell the story of our nation in all its complexity and diversity.
3. Historic districting is about keeping buildings alive, in active use, and relevant to the needs of the people and the cities that surround them.
4. Historic preservation districts provide benefits to people, whether or not they actually own a home in them.
5. Historic preservation can be conducive to affordable housing, if it’s done correctly.
6. Historic districts can limit tall development—but that doesn’t necessarily mean it limits density.
7. Historic districts can place certain restrictions on how homeowners can alter their property—but they don’t have to be burdensome.
8. Regulating historic districts can also protect a property owner’s investment.