We are looking for shavees and donations for our annual St. Baldrick’s Day head shaving event at Boundary Stone. This is our 6th annual event at the pub and have thus far raised $329,053 for children’s cancer research! The day itself is one of our favorite days at the pub and is both a fun and emotional one where we come together as a community. To get more of a feel for what the day and organization are about, check out this 7 minute film created by LeDroit park resident Quentin Kelly about our 2015 event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgUhfS0n_gc&feature=youtu.be. We have also created a Facebook event page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/291660741698601/?notif_t=event_calendar_create¬if_id=1547061126548928.
This year’s event is scheduled for March 10th and we have set the lofty goal of $100,000! To sign up to be a shavee or to donate, please click on this link: https://www.stbaldricks.org/events/BoundaryStone2019.
Below are a few facts about children’s cancer and St. Baldrick’s.
- Worldwide, a child is diagnosed with cancer every two minutes.
- Childhood cancer is the #1 disease killer of kids in the U.S.
- Current childhood cancer research is significantly underfunded. Of the U.S. federal funding for cancer research, only 4% is solely dedicated to childhood cancers.
- St. Baldrick’s is the largest private funder of childhood cancer research grants.
- Since 2005, St. Baldrick's has committed more than $253 million to lifesaving research. Grants include training the next generation of researchers, supporting innovative research and helping institutions treat more children in clinical trials.
Thanks for your help!