Thursday, January 20, 2011

adult son of Bloomingdale resident Bill Mitchell shot at North Capitol St NW & Fla Ave NW last night, later died at the hospital

First, see this message posted at the MPD-5D list from earlier today:

From: "Greene, Lamar (MPD)"
To: "MPD-5D @ yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Thu, January 20, 2011 10:35:46 AM
Subject: [MPD-5D]

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011, at 2311 hours, units from the Fifth District were dispatched to the intersection of North Capitol St and Florida Ave to investigate a report of the sound of gunshots. Prior to their arrival, a unit from the First District was flagged down by a citizen and advised of a shooting victim on the Northwest corner of the intersection of North Capitol St. and Florida Ave. NW .


DCFEMS responded to the scene and transported the victim (an adult male) to an area hospital, suffering from a gunshot wound to the torso. The victim later died as a result of the injuries. Violent Crime Branch detectives are investigating the case and ask if anyone has information please contact MPD immediately 202- 727- 9099.

Commander Lamar D. Greene
Metropolitan Police Department
Fifth District

b) Now see this Email from Bloomingdale resident Bill Mitchell just received:

From: William L. Mitchell
To: Scott Roberts
Sent: Thu, January 20, 2011 11:11:48 AM
Subject: Shooting At North Capitol and Florida

Scott,

My son Billy was shot and killed last night at about 11:00 to 11:30 PM at North Capitol and Florida. I don`t have many details. Please put out a notice on the Bloomingdale list serve and ask for information from any witnesses -- who can contact MPD Homicide Detective Milton Norris at 202 - 497 - 4734 (cell).

17 comments:

Ms. Tehan said...

Mr. Mitchell,
I am very saddened to read of these events and am so sorry to hear of the loss of your son.

Andrea Tehan

Anonymous said...

Bill, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Sending prayers and support for you and your family during this time.
Best to you
Ski and David (50 Seaton PL NW)

Elizabeth said...

My heart goes out to you and your family, Mr. Mitchell. I'm so sorry for your loss.

E

jbcarron said...

This is terrible news for the community. Senseless.

Ashman said...

I've known Billy since Kindergarten at College Gardens. Sorry for your loss.

Adam Harrison

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Billy will be missed.

Jessica Sincavage

AskKelli said...

I'm so sorry for Billy's loss. I went to Julius West with Billy. We "dated" in 6th grade. He was a great guy and will be missed. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

-Kelli Miller (formally Rothenberg)

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about your son, Billy. We went to middle school together and remained friends in high school. He was a wonderful person. Your family are in our prayers.
-Tracey (Resnick) Shushan

Unknown said...

i am sorry for you lost for lost i leved in that part of town all my life and i lost so many friend to shooting and no body was talking about change the neighborhood and now that a whit person get killed ever body talking about how bad the neighborhood is

Unknown said...

Mr Mitchell-

I heard about Billy earlier this week and I was so sorry to learn what happened. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you, Brian, and the rest of the family. We are saddened that such a wonderful family has to endure such a terrible tragedy.

Micah McCutchan

Unknown said...

Mr. Mitchell,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Bill was a friend to many in the legal community and was known for his kindness and friendship. He had a good heart. He will be missed and please know we mourn with you.

Kathy Hatcher

Quentin said...

To Larry, from your note to the family, I am guessing you must be let's say 15. So I will not be harsh with my words to you. Yes it is about color when it comes to every aspect of reporting crime and taking a stand. It's a known fact that most whites don't take a back seat when crime happens in their neighborhood, and neither should we. I dont blame them for not standing up when we are killing each other at an alarming rate in every city in this GREAT country.Violence has become a part of our culture, and we have accepted that...WHY? We need to take a stand in OUR VERY own neighborhoods and say enough is enough. We march and hold candle light vigils then return to accept the same nonsense with our family members, friends, friends of friends and allow this to be okay. So start with you and those closest to you to make sure you are a productive member of society and remember to stand in the mirror each time you wish to point a finger. The blacks, including me have to to better!!!! My condolences to the FAMILY!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Theola Labbe-DeBose, a crime reporter for The Washington Post. I'm writing about Mr. Mitchell's death. If you knew him, know anything about what happened, or are a neighbor with general concern about crime please reach out to me today at labbet@washpost.com or 202 334 5191. Thank you.

MB Wood Designs said...

To the Mitchell family, I am so sorry and have always loved hanging out in high school with your two Mitchell boys. I will see you at the funeral and am so incredibly sorry for your tragic loss.

To Quentin-you are one smart person and I think that regardless of your skin color, its only going to change if people of all backgrounds and skin color take a stand. You are obviously a very intelligent and strong person and something tells me you are just the type of friend Billy would have.

Mary Beth

Unknown said...

Dear Mr. Mitchell,
I did not really know your son but went to school with him a long time ago at Julius West. When I heard about this on the news I was saying to my husband how awful it was but I had not yet made the connection that this was Billy from middle school. Senseless does not begin to describe what has happened to your son, nor can words really express one's condolences. I do hope you take some comfort in the knowledge that your son's passing is being deeply felt, and I truly hope you do not give up on your efforts in improving the neighborhood because I'm sure those efforts mean so much to a lot of people. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Anna G.

Sean Hennessey said...

family and friends of billy mitchell,
i'm very sorry for your loss. it sounds like billy was a great human and we all mourn for him.

Unknown said...

To the family and friends of Billy Mitchell,

I offer you my deepest condolences. I have no words that could possibly describe the loss you are having. Please know that you are in my families thoughts.