Friday, January 14, 2011

"aggressive panhandler" in LeDroit Park

See this 01/14/2011 message from a Flagler Place NW resident:

A group of 5 of us (4 guys, 1 girl) were walking up T street NW, towards the Metro, and turned right on 4th St by LeDroit Market when we were approached by a black male asking for money. He claimed he had just been robbed at gunpoint and needed $5 for Metro fare to get him back to Maryland and his baby momma. We politely told him sorry, we didn`t have any cash, but he proceeded to follow us for over 3 blocks to Oakdale St (between Elm St and V), loudly and insistently demanding we give him money. I told him if he didn`t leave, I would call the police. He got angry, started screaming profanities at me, and threatened to spit on me.

My boyfriend and another guy got between him and me, and he shoved between them, shouting at me while I called 911. The police dispatcher said they`d send a car, but I don`t know if they ever found him. He eventually turned down Oakdale and disappeared into the park back there. He was a black male, probably late 20s, with shoulder length dreadlocks. He was wearing a ski cap, red jacket, green sweatshirt and dark jeans.

To approach a group of 5 people ... he was obviously high and could have had a weapon, so people need to be careful in that area.

No comments: