Sunday, November 23, 2014

follow-up on stolen packages

Another Bloomingdale resident comments on the current issue of stolen packages from front doorsteps and stoops:
                 
I too saw one of the package thieves last Saturday running casually up Rhode Island Avenue package in hand. He entered a home on the unit block on the North side of the street.  He was a young, black light skinned male wearing a bright red jacket with his hair in a box top fade. I was driving in heavy traffic but I pulled over as quickly as I could on 1st Street and there I saw  two 5th District police passing in their cruiser.  I stopped them to report what I saw and they appeared irritated that I stopped them because they said they were already aware of the thief and were on his trail.

As one who has had 3 packages stolen in the last  2 weeks I recommend the following steps to neighbors:

           
If packages can be delivered elsewhere -to  work or a friend's home then do so and reduce your stress level.
If that's not possible ask all senders to insist that packages be left only when someone signs for them.
If that too is not possible:
Go to the Brentwood Post Office preferably early in the day i.e. before 10 am and ask to speak with Venzetta (Vinnie) Price. She is the manager in charge of delivery. (I was able to speak to her on a Saturday morning ... incidentally later that afternoon I spotted the thief.)
Request that the post office hold all packages which they can do for up to 30 days.
Leave your number (Ms Price was kind enough to call me and alert me that 2 packages were being held for me) and check back every week to pick up your packages.
         
If  it is not possible to see Ms Price ask for Kirsten Johnson who I believe is the Post Master or the most senior manager on duty.
     
I did the above and am happy to report that this week I was able to receive 3 packages that would otherwise have likely been stolen.
               
I don't know the name of the mail carrier serving the unit blocks but I'm on the 100 block and our carrier is Travis Morris. He is also very responsive so if you don't wish to/ can't go to Brentwood you could also speak directly with him. He usually comes by in the early afternoon and it appears that the thieves look out for him and then come right behind and pick up the packages.  Also please note that many packages that are sent using Fedex and UPS are actually delivered by the Post Office through a delivery sharing operation that has been in place among these 3 entities for over a year. I would say 90 percent of all my packages that are sent via Fedex are actually delivered by my regular mail carrier.
       
Finally, it seems to me an easy sting would be for the cops to mail/ plant a couple of packages containing GPS units on various porches (after informing the homeowners); wait for the thieves to take them; and then track them via GPS. But maybe that's too high tech. 



1 comment:

Mari said...

Saw a box on the 200 blk of R St NW, it may have been trash or a stolen box, but it was ripped open. The 'valuable" object would need the GPS, because thieves are quick to ditch the box.