Some of you may have noticed that a vote on the charter application for the new Carlos Rosario School at 514 V Street NE is scheduled for this Tuesdays ANC meeting. This is a topic that was discussed at previous single member district meetings and at the November 2012 ANC 5C meeting. As a refresher I've attached renderings and a summary of the schools plans. The building sits on 5th Street between the MBT and the U Haul parking lot. This is hopefully the first step to bringing life to that industrial corridor. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Overview of the Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School V Street NE Project
· With the continued high rates of unemployment and poverty within the District the need for effective workforce development and job training programs is high.
· Demand for The Carlos Rosario School’s services is high with over 900 applicants currently on its waiting list.
· Development of the Sonia Gutierrez campus (an extension of the Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School), a new 50,000+ square foot facility
· Located at 514 V Street, NE, near the Rhode Island metro station
· The Sonia Gutierrez campus will house the following:
o Culinary Arts and Pastry Certifications Training (in partnership with the Culinary Institute of America)
o Allied Health Certifications Training, including Nurse Aide, Home Health Aide and other certifications (in partnership with the DC Board of Nursing, DC Coalition on Long-term Care, and Sibley Memorial Hospital)
o Technology Certifications Training (in partnership with Microsoft and CompTIA)
o Comprehensive support services, job readiness and soft skills training, language and computer literacy skills training
o Over 400 low-income adult District residents will be served in the first year of operation, with enrollment increasing to over 500 within the first two years
o Ana G. Mendez University dual-language Associates in Culinary Arts and Bachelors in Culinary Management offered on site
· Designed by Shinberg and Levinas, award winning school architects
Background on the Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School
· Award winning school for adult District residents, recognized by the US Department of Education as a national model for adult education.
· Accredited by the Middle States Commission.
· The School is locally, nationally, and internationally recognized for its outcomes in English language and basic skills, workforce credentialing, and job placement.
· Selected as the Washington Greater Metropolitan Area Testing Site by the American Red Cross for the NNAAP (the National Nurse Aide Assessment)
· The School serves a diverse community with students coming from over 72 different countries and speaking over 37 different languages. Seventy-three percent of students are Hispanic and twenty-two percent are African American or African.
· Students and graduates of the School exemplify the School’s mission to equip adult immigrants to become invested citizens and to give back to the community in many ways. Just this past year students contributed over 2,000 community service hours, including organizing a walk for the homeless, conducting a community clean up in Columbia Heights, and volunteering at Food and Friends.
· The Carlos Rosario Educational Foundation (CREF) will be headquartered at this new campus and is now expanding upon and replicating the School’s model internationally and regionally.
Tim Clark, Commissioner, 5E03