Thursday, May 30, 2013

a message from Robert Brannum: "Letter to Ward 5"

From: Robert Vinson Brannum <rbrannum@robertbrannum.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:26 PM
Subject: [ward5] Letter to Ward 5

Dear Ward 5 Neighbors,
                          
There comes a time in one’s life when you have to face the realities of life.  That time has come for me.
The Bloomingdale community and Ward 5 have been home to me for over 30 years.  The house I live in is where my mother and her sister were each married.  There are community, Ward, and family memories I will always cherish with fondness and love.
All of my life I have tried to serve others and to be a positive guidepost for young people.  Community service is a principle I value and believe.  I am blessed God has allowed me many opportunities to champion the causes of justice, equality, due process for all regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, or political ideology.   However, I will always be a proud Democrat.
I tried my best to be fair to all and to respect all, even those who strongly disagreed with me.
Throughout my varied roles of service; as a teacher, a U.S. military service member, and a community activist, I fought for the rights of others and for the dignity of all people.    I am truly proud of my commitment and support for D.C. statehood and the right for full District congressional representation.
Over the years I have marched for civil rights, protested injustices against young people, workers, and seniors, walked with my neighbors against drug trafficking in the Bloomingdale/Edgewood/Eckington communities.  I have testified in strong support for high quality District public education, against governmental secrecy, over-reach, and even been arrested for District self-determination.  I believe and remain a dedicated fighter for good government and community cohesion and inclusiveness. 
I believe in fighting for what is right and just.  Even, if I had to stand and fight alone. 
Yet, through and above it all, I tried to be loyal to my principles, to my core beliefs of justice and due process, and dedicated to the people of the District of Columbia.  While I did not back down from a political or public policy challenge and fought hard to persuade the truths as I thought they were; I never engaged in the practice of anonymous personal character assassination to hurt people or for entertainment. Whatever I said or did, I stood up and put my name to it.  In an era before the current public and media outcry for openness, transparency, ethics; I saw it as the decent thing to do. 
I tried to be faithful and dedicated to Bloomingdale, Ward 5, and to the people of the District of Columbia.  I believe I have.
My personal and community journey of service has enriched me and made me I hope worthy of God’s grace and mercy.  However, the time has come for me to focus on something spiritually more valuable and precious; my health and my family.
It is with great love and affection I announce I will not seek re-election as Chair of the Ward 5 Democratic Committee.  In addition, I will step-down as a Vice-Chair of the Ward 5 Council on Education, Inc., and Vice-Chair of the 5th District Citizens’ Advisory Council, Inc.
If there is a closing thought I would share, I hope you will find it in the links below:

Please know there is still and always will be a fight in me.
There are many people who I would give a shout out to for their encouragement through the years.  I cannot name them all; however, I would like to single out two people for special recognition as leaders; they are Mayor Vincent C. Gray and Chairman Phil Mendelson. 
As a Washingtonian and as a proud Democrat, I believe Mayor Gray and Chairman Mendelson have provided consummate municipal leadership and management oversight of District affairs. 
Finally, to the three who mean the most to me, my wife, my son, and my goddaughter, I’m coming home.  I love you all.
Robert
@robert158

No comments: