Tuesday, May 21, 2013

recall the 02-26-2013 carjacking at 2nd and W Street NW? here is an update from the carjacking victim

First, a refresher on the 02-26-2013 carjacking incident -- from the 02/28/2013 Bloomingdale Email:
                                                                                                                                  
From the person who was carjacked on Tuesday evening, 02/26/2013, near the corner of 2nd and W Street NW:
  
I am perfectly OK, the guy did not harm me but it was a pretty frightening experience and people should definitely be careful and aware of their surroundings. I pulled up to my building and before I could get out of the car he came to my driver`s side and tapped on it with a gun.  I will keep the neighborhood apprised as I work with the police.
   
              GPS ankle bracelet image
                                                     
Now here is the update from the carjacking victim:

It`s been a few hectic months since the carjacking but I wanted to share an update with you. An arrest was made in my case in late March. The offender committed 2 more robberies after he carjacked me that same evening and was later located because he was wearing a GPS ankle bracelet.

Some of my belongings were found a couple of weeks after the robbery and my car was eventually recovered in the Trinidad neighborhood. I testified in front of a grand jury a few weeks ago. The offender has until August to accept a plea deal or we will go to trial.

This whole experience has been emotionally draining, but the detectives and prosecutor I have been working with have been very helpful and worked to make this situation as bearable as possible. The most important thing for Bloomingdale residents to know is that this guy is off the streets!

2 comments:

Kerry said...

That has to be the dummest criminal acts of all time. How does one reach the decision to carjack someone while wearing a GPS ankle braclet...? Happy the idiot was caught. Sorry to hear this happening right in our backyard. Glad that the victim was not injured...

TheCommiss said...

I say you throw the book at this guy especially since he had a GPS on. I mean really are we going to get serious on crime in DC or let the US atty and judges let these criminals out only to re-offend!