Monday, June 03, 2013

neighbor raises issue about parking enforcement on 3rd St NW

Posted at the LeDroit Park list:


From: forevernina <nina.c.brown@gmail.com>
To: LeDroitPark@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, June 3, 2013 11:49 AM
Subject: [LeDroitPark] AttnL Lt. Jova - Parking Enforcmenet on 3rd St NW

Dear Lt. Jova,

I was instructed by the 5th district responding officers to send an e-mail out to the list serve addressed to you. As you may know, many of the neighbors on the 1800 block of 3rd St. NW (Between Rhode Island Ave NW and Anna Cooper Circle), worked diligently to sign a petition to request zone 1/2 parking. The original signs only offered protection Mon-Fri to 8:00 p.m. Since the zoning originally did not meet the needs of the residents, a number of neighbors worked diligently to get another petition signed and work through the proper city channels to have it changed to be effective Mon-Sun 7 am – 12 midnight.

Yesterday around 12:45 p.m. I placed a call to 311 who directed me to 911 to report approximately 6 cars parked on the Zone 1/2 permit side of the street. The responding officers were from the 5th District. Both officers were very friendly and courteous but directed me to post my concerns related to the outcome on the list serve as the infraction is occurring in 3rd District.

When I spoke with the 5D officers they informed me that they don't ticket vehicles on Sunday's out of courtesy because they belong to the parishioners of the churches. I informed the officers I was not trying to be difficult or disrespectful to those worshipping, however, on Rhode Island Ave NW in between 6th & New Jersey, there are signs that explicitly state cars can park there on Sundays from 10 or 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. On 3rd street it explicitly states only zoned residents can park Mon-Sun 7 a.m.-12a.m. If the city doesn't enforce parking on Sundays due to church, why would they issue a sign where it explicitly states that this is a violation of a city ordinance?
             
Sensing my frustration, the officer informed me that when they write tickets, the parishioners complain to the pastors, the pastors call the commanders, and the tickets just get voided. His solution was that they would record the plate numbers, go to the church and make an announcement, and then in 5-10 minutes come back and issue tickets if the cars were still there. 3 hours after the call, many of the cars were still there with no tickets. I also informed the officers that information seemed strange, because when I visit Eastern Market or U Street on Sundays and I am parked illegally in a Zone 6, I receive a ticket, even on a Sunday.  The officer then informed me that these neighborhoods have special arrangements with DDOT to pay overtime for Sunday enforcement.

I find it alarming that District police and City Government would blatantly ignore a law or statute just because it's Sunday. I think it sets a dangerous precedent. If I go to Macys on a Sunday, steal a dress for church, will I not be prosecuted because it's Sunday and I'm going to church? I highly doubt it. The next time I get a parking ticket or my car gets re-located for street cleaning should I contest on the premise that I was engaged in religious worship which gives me immunity from city laws and regulations? That probably wouldn't work either. In addition, not enforcing the parking laws on Sunday sets a horrible precedent for further lack of enforcement on Fridays and Saturday nights when we also have a large number of non-residents frequenting the area.

I think the most disturbing and frustrating part of this is the fact that certain neighborhoods are given special protections. I'm not naïve to the fact that Ledroit Park may not experience the same traffic volume as Eastern Market or U Street, but the last time I checked, I'm paying city taxes just as they are. If these special arrangements are covered through all District residents' taxes, and not through an additional tax subsidy or fee for those neighborhoods, the same "perks" should be offered to all residents equally. It's a blatant inequity that is unjust and uncalled for.

I'm not sure the solution to the problem, but if the city is going to selectively decide when to enforce the parking laws, then there should never be another parking ticket generated ever.

Nina Brown
1800 block of 3rd St NW.

And another Email on this topic:

From: "Norman, Anita"
To: "LeDroitPark@yahoogroups.com"  
Sent: Monday, June 3, 2013 12:34 PM
Subject: RE: [LeDroitPark] AttnL Lt. Jova - Parking Enforcment on 3rd St.

I also, contacted 311 on Sunday afternoon around 4:20 pm, only to get the same warm and fussy response from MPD 3rd District. I spoke to dispatcher  8307. I asked her to send the police for parking enforcement in the 1800 block of 3rd St. N.W. which is zoned for Ward 1 and Ward 5 residents only from Monday thru – Sunday 7 am -12 mn . She began to explain that they do not do parking enforcement. Mr. Cross of Parking Enforcement/DPW directed us to call 311 for ticket enforcement on Sundays,
who would dispatch someone from MPD. Dispatcher 8307 asked me several questions like the type of violation,  the make and model of the vehicles and tag numbers. I do not believe that this is the responsibility of the residents to perform when requesting parking enforcement of a restricted area. This isn’t the first time that I have been met with resistance from MPD to come to enforce parking rules/ laws. I think that when a resident calls and identifies that there is a parking violation that that is enough to dispatch MPD. Please do not make us targets of retaliation by having us go outside to write down makes and models, color of vehicles and license plates.
Thanks,
Anita Norman

No comments: