Sent: Sunday, May 8, 2016 11:33 AM
Subject: Two IMPORTANT MEETINGS on Eckington History / Historic Designation Process
Because you have expressed interest in the history and historic preservation of Eckington, I want to encourage you to attend these two meetings – and to bring other neighbors.
1. Monday, May 9 (tomorrow), 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Third Town Hall meeting exploring historic designation will be held at the Summit at St. Martin’s, 116 T Street NE.
We encourage you to arrive early, and sign up for 2 minute time slots to express your point of view – and to ask your questions. Panelists include:
· Kim Williams, and representatives from the City’s Historic Preservation Board.
· Michael Lee Beidler, an architect with more than 25 years of experience working in designated DC historic districts.
· Peter Sefton, QED Associates will make a presentation on Eckington architectural and cultural history and proposed boundaries.
2. Monday June 6, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. at the Summit at St. Martins, 116 T Street NE, the regular monthly meeting of the Eckington Civic Association (ECA) meeting:
At this meeting, an up or down vote will be taken to determine whether the ECA should continue to explore submitting an application to the City for historic designation status for Eckington.
Members may also vote in absentia on this issue.
Please note, it is the City -- not the ECA -- that determines designation. There has been some misinformation on this point.
It is important for neighbors to attend both events – but especially the June 6 meeting.You must be an Eckington resident and ECA member to vote. If you are not a current member, dues are only $10 for residents or $7 for senior citizens. Check out the ECA website here to register and for more information.
As you know, these current efforts began over a decade ago with a History of Eckington – a first step in the process of documenting and preserving the history our unique neighborhood. That effort continues today with the first comprehensive architectural topology and inventory report being conducted by QED Associates.Thanks for all you do to make Eckington a great neighborhood. Hope to see you there.