Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 9:11 AM
Subject: A Melon things to get at BFM Sunday
- BREAKING: Groff now has beef hot dogs-- perfect to grill, stick in a half baguette with Number 1 Sons krauts and pickles
- 6 kinds of melon at Garner-
- Check out the incredible choice of fruits at Reid
- Lots of tomatoes at Shenandoah
- Try Zucchini Butter pasta !
- Panorama: Damien's new creations are peach tart. plum tart and apple tarts
- Number 1 Sons has Horseradish pickles and Super Sours are back. Have you ever made a Spicy Kimchi Potato Salad?
- What to do with greens? Make Horta. I did Wednesday night. It is even better the second and third night. Last night I layered the horta on1/4 inch slices of oven roasted eggplant over diced tomatoes with ricotta (but goat cheese would be great too or burrata.) Sprinkle Parmesan. Added another layer of eggplant amd sprinkled bread crumb and parmesan and baked a bit.
REID'S: Peaches! Blueberries! Currants! Cherries! Hinnonmaki Red Gooseberries. Snow peas,yellow squash, cucumbers, English Hull peas, zucchini, Kiki Fuji Apples. Apricots, raspberries, Lodi apples.
Kathy says: "Yellow lugs as they come in from the
fields..Hand sorted in our Food Safety Modernizaction Act approved packing
huose by folks wearing gloves..Then they get boxed up in quarts or pints to
travel to market..We work hard to bring the best to you."
SWIRLY GIRL CREAMERY: 22 cheeses. Come check out this spread of cow and goat milk and mixed milk cheeses. Morbier, Goat Cheddar, Onamar, Tomme, Goast Manchego, Tommy Goat, Goat Gouda, Goat Feta, Cow Feta, Curds,Winter Morning, Cowttin, Chevre, Bovre, Marinated Feta, Mira Flores, Farmhouse, Scratch, Garlic Tomme, Brie, Blue Moon, Bhutlah.
Robin tip: grill some young eggplant or some young squash and sprinkled quite a bit of their feta on it. Or heap with pureed feta. Olive oil, mint. Could be basil.
KING MUSHROOMS: Grill these mushrooms: Oyster, King Trumpet, shiitake, portobello, chestnut and maitake this week. Also, tinctures, my favorite Hungarian Mushroom soup ....and marinated mushrooms.
GROFF'S CONTENT: Carnivore Grilling Central. Beef Hot Dogs! Chicken and Duck eggs. Pork and beef and 11 pork sausages and lots and lots of lamb. Pork shoulder, chops, bacon, pork jowls.Lamb ideas: Julie's special Leg of Lamb cut for two, Leg steaks for grilling, shoulder roasts, shoulder chops are great in a crockpot. Have you tried the Denver Ribs -- Lamb spare ribs. The whole range of steaks and tons of ground beef. Turkey Lasagne and Turkey Pot Pie, Shepherd's Pie, Meatballs in Marinara, Bone Broths, Pork Liver Pate. Ham and White Bean soup. Julie told me everyone needs to try the thinly sliced "Fajita steak"
PANORAMA: Baguettes, croissants (classic butter, chocolate, rain, almond), sourdoughs, multigrain, whole wheat, Plie, Danish, sticky buns, Breton Kouign Amann, palmier, turnover, quiches, bagels, strudle, bricohes, challah, brioche bun, ciabatta, French boule, French loaf, Foccaccia, Olive seed loaf, pumpernickel, rye, muffins, breakfast loaf, olive oil bun..
- We are welcoming well-behaved doggies on short leashes again.
- Please continue to mask if you are unvaccinated (or just want to be cautious).
- Enter and Exit the market at either First and R or R and Florida only
- Please avoid crowding each other when there are lines at stands
Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Robin and Ted