From: Robin Shuster
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2021 9:13 PM
Subject: : Last BFM for 2021
Hi BFM fans,
Hard to believe the market is over. This Sunday is the last BFM for 2021.
How did you like our extension into December? I hope all of you
come out for our last market to say goodbye. Please check out our instagram
and share your holiday meals with us. Join us.
New or Notable:
- Order by Sat noon: Damien made Buche de Noel (Yule logs) for you - Hazel buttercream or Vanilla Chocolate. He will have some extras at the stand.
- Order today: Groff has Holiday specials Whole Duck, Ham, Christmas Goose, Whole Turkey, Whole Lamb Leg, Beef Rib Roast and Brisket.
- Whisked will have Christmas pies for you at the stand -- yes, they WILL last for Christmas in the fridge --and lots of cookie packs for stocking stuffers
- Garner has tons of GREENS sweetened by the colder weather. The collards are gorgeous.
- Make your own crumble or galette with Reid's apples or pears.
- King Mushrooms grows 7 types of mushrooms every week for us-- and a wonderful Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Swirly Girl has a brand new apricot chevre at the stand
- Reid will have 25 different apples this week and 5 kinds of ciders.
- Lots of Hot Stuff: all the chile bears at Number 1 Sons and hot sauces at Garner and Chile Crisps and Chile Powders at Chinese Street Market
Stock up on the things you love and here is how to keep them:
- Sweet potatoes, regular spud, winter squash, pumpkins all last for weeks or months in a cool, dry place -- ie not the fridge.
- Swirly Girl Cheeses last weeks and weeks in the fridge
- Meat, pasta, dumplings well be great in the freezer
- Apples should be kept in the fridge in a thick plastic bag, well perforated. The bag protects the skin and the holes ventilate the apple gas and keeps the apples crisp. And keep them away from the carrots.
- All Number 1 Ferments except the Chile Bears should be kept in the fridge and they keep and keep and keep and keep for months.
- Eggs are good for weeks in the fridge. TIP: Use older eggs for hard boiled eggs -- they peel much better.
- Bread freezes very well. Either pre sliced or whole or portioned.. Wrap in aluminum foil and a freezer bag. That way you can have bread whenever you want it even if you are single or a couple.
- Quiche and Whoopie Pies freeze well too.
- How to preserve Reid's cider for months: remove an inch or two from the container to allow for expansion and then freeeze it.
- King's Dried Mushrooms take no space; and rehydrated makes a very savory vegetarian soup base. Keep fresh mushrooms in a paper bag in the fridge.
Some great Local Gifts, food and plant
- Local honey, local apple butter at Reid
- Local stone ground grits and corn meal grown by Garner
- Best Chile Crisp ever from Chinese Street Market
- Chile Bears from Number 1 Sons: Franken Sauce, Peach Poron, Green Bastard, Red Brau, Tropical Thunder, Hot Chocolate
- Make someone a Swirly Girl Cheese Plate.
REID's ORCHARD: No other orchard has so many different and changing apples every week. Some recent Apples: Oxford, Albemarle Pippin, Golden Delicious, Winesap, Nittany, Braeburn, JonaGold, Mutsu Crispin, Rome, Granny Smith, Arkansas Black, Northern Spy, Golden Russet, Stayman, Gala, Red Ruben, Yataka, Empire, Gold Rush, Greensleeves, Smokehouse, Ambrosia, Wolf River, Rosalee, Snowsweet, Crimson Crisp, Cortland, Crunch a Bunch, HoneyCrisp, Summerset, Pinova, SunCrisp, Swiss Gourmet, Black Twig, Mammoth Black Twig.Pears. 5 different Ciders.including Pear and Apple Cherry. Choice of Pasturized or UV. Unusual honeys. Purple and Murasaki and Beauregard Sweet Potatoes. Potatoes and Turnips..
your holiday cheese plate from this spread of cow and goat milk and mixed
milk cheeses. Morbier, Goat Cheddar, Onamar, Tomme, Goat Manchego, Tommy Goat,
Goat Gouda, Goat Feta, Cow Feta, Curds,Winter Morning, Cowttin, Chevre, Bovre,
Marinated Feta, Mira Flores, Farmhouse, Garlic Tomme, Brie, Blue Moon,
Bhutlah. New: Apricot Chevre.
Cheese Platters go well with Reid Apples and their walnuts.. Try Reid 's Buckwheat honey with plain chevre.
GROFF'S CONTENT: Have you tried the new Ham? Chicken and Duck eggs. Pork and beef and 11 pork sausages and lots and lots of lamb. Pork shoulder, chops, bacon, pork jowls.Lamb ideas: Julie's special Leg of Lamb cut for two, Leg steaks for grilling, shoulder roasts, shoulder chops are great in a crockpot. Denver Ribs are Lamb spare ribs. The whole range of steaks and tons of ground beef. Turkey Lasagne and Turkey Pot Pie, Shepherd's Pie, Meatballs in Marinara, Bone Broths, Pork Liver Pate. Ham and White Bean soup.
CHINESE STREET MARKET: Their Baos are made by hand in small batches: kneaded, rolled out and filled and pleated and steamed. Eight Treasure Shortbread for the La Ba Holiday are back. If you have any questions about how to cook their Soup Dumpings? Sichuan dumplings in less than 10 minutes from freezer to table, ask at their stand. We did a little video with her to show you how at our IG page. Handmade, flash-frozen dumplings, buns, shumai and more. Ask about their DanDan Noodles kit? Dumplings: Pork and Chinese Celery, Fish & Perilla & Tomato, Vegetable & Tofu, Eggplant & Eggs & Chinese Green Peppers, Family Packs and Party Pack and Single Meal Packs.
The Chile Crisp and Fermented Mustard Chile sauces are fabulous.
KING MUSHROOMS Chestnut, Oyster, King Trumpet, shiitake, portobello, chestnut and maitake this week. Also, tinctures, my favorite Hungarian Mushroom soup ....and marinated mushrooms. The soup is chock full of mushrooms and wonderful with a piece of Damien's new Campagrain bread, toasted.
NUMBER ! SONS: So what they have at the stand? Pickles:
Super Sours, Brown Sugar Krauts: Clean Kraut and Ripping Rosetido Kraut.
Veggie Pickles: Dilly Beans, Thai Golden Beets, Cider Masala Beets, Italian
Giardiniera. Sauces: Salsa So Verde. Kimchi: Sons Kimchi and Kicky Kimchi.
Daikons: Dilly Daikons. Honey Habanero Daikons(sweet and spicy). Kombucha: a
seasonal cranberry of course.
6 Spicy Chile Bears: Franken Sauce, Peach Poron, Green Bastard, Red Brau, Tropical Thunder and Chocolate. All made with local chiles and fermented with local vinegars, beers, wines and ciders..
PANORAMA ARTISANAL BAKERY:
Croissants, almond croissants, pain au chocolat, chocolate plie, 5 different muffins, cinnamon buns, 4 kinds of Danish, Kouign Amann, Sticky buns, Palmier (Elephant Ears), Pumpkin Viennoiserie, Apple Turnover. Breads: Brioche, Challah, Sliced breads: Olive bread, French loaf, Sourdough, Sourdough Rosemary, Sourdough walnut raisin, Multigrain. Unsliced: Campagrain, Campailou, Pumpkin Loaf, Rustique Baguettes of various sizes, Rustique Loaf, Rustique Petit Pain, Multigrain. Focaccia. French Jalapeno Cheddar Loaf. Vegetable Quiche, Quiche Lorraine.
PRODUCE: Potatoes. sweet potatoes, purple top and Japanese
salad turnips, Scallions. Grits, cornmeal, sauces, Honey Nut
squash. Tomatillos.The white sweet potatoes are like a sweeter version of an
Idaho baking potato. Broccoli. Cauliflower, Fractal Romanesca. Lettuce.
Savoy Cabbage is great for stuffing. Huge Napa cabbages that make at least 3
meals. Watermelon radishes, Daikons and Green Luobo Daikon radishes.
So many greens sweetened by the frosts:spinach, tat soi, bok choy, kale, collards, turnip, mustard. Romaine, salad, lettuce, stir fry, arugula, escarole, field cress, sorrel, stir fry mix, lettuce blend, parsley, cilantro,
Fall squash include Butternut, Acorn, Spaghetti, Kabocha, Delicata, Honey Nut.. Japanese Futsu, Carnival, Neck Pumpkins and many others, heirlooms and unusual as well as the ones you know. Red, White, orange and Japanese Sweet Potatoes, Ornamental Broom Corn.
WHISKED: Seasonal Cookies include: Cranberry Orange Oatmeal, Chocolate Peppermint, Pumpkin Snickerdoodle.
Cookie Monsters? Try these too when you need a break: Molasses Spice, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Blackout, Lemon Poppyseed, Orange and White Chocolate, Pretzel Cowboy, Salty Oatmeal, just to name a few! And ALL the pies.
CUCINA AL VOLO: December is Pasta Season. Home made Tuscan pasta makes for incredibly good fast food as it should be. Boil the water, salt it, drop in the pasta and they are done 2-4 minutes later. Grab a sauce and you can have dinner on the table in less than 10 minutes. And this is resto quality pasta, made in the same kitchens as their popular restaurants. I always keep some pasta in the freezer for quick, excellent meals.
Tip: Domenica's pasta recipes. Have you ever made Pasta and Potatoes?
Shop Locally and Forget about Supply Chains
The NorthCap PopUp Holiday Market is in the adjacent park Sunday. The Big Bear Cafe's annual Holiday Market is Dec 18 and 19th.
Robin and Ted