Tuesday, March 15, 2011

a comment on Capitol Food Mart's pursuit of a liquor license

From a Quincy Place NW resident:

I read Bloomingdale Civic Association President Teri Janine Quinn’s helpful explanation for how to protest a Liquor License Application and I understand Commissioner Hugh Youngblood will provide an update on Capitol Food Mart’s Liquor License pursuit at tonight’s ANC 5C meeting. I am eager to hear what can be done. Admittedly, I was late to read TJ’s post, so I did not organize a group of 5 people to submit a protest in time. I regret that. I am stunned by the fact that neighbors do not need to be consulted when a business applies for a liquor license and wonder what on earth our neighborhood is going to do with another place to buy alcohol. I live on Quincy Place NW and I see every day the negative impact the innumerable liquor stores have on our neighborhood, including last night when a drunk aggressive male followed me home. I was a patron at Rustik. The drunk male entered Rustik, went straight to the bar and started yelling. The Rustik Tavern staff asked him to leave and he did. It was at the same time that I left Rustik to walk home. . He saw me leave and decided that I was his next target. He followed me from Rustik Tavern at 8pm screaming at and harassing me the entire way along 1st Street NW. I felt him on my heels, picked up my pace to a jog, called 911, and stayed on with the operator until I got back to my apartment. When I looked out my window, I saw him causing a scene in front of Sunset Liquors, likely his final destination. I am not sure if the cops ever picked him up. I know this guy was an exception, not a rule… and alcohol is a symptom not a cause, but after eight years living in Bloomingdale seeing the slow but monumental improvements we’ve made to our wonderful neighborhood, I cannot find words to express the frustration I felt reading about our neighborhood’s powerlessness in protesting another liquor license. Is it not up to us to define the kind of place we’d like to live in?

9 comments:

Tim Moore said...

Another store selling alcohol would be terrible for the neighborhood. I live on the Unit block of R St NW and every day I walk home from work I pick up the empty single sale malt liquor cans and half pints of cheap vodka that are bought, quickly consumed, and chucked on the street. A also had the pleasure to sweep up a 40oz bottle that was smashed on my stoop. I have no problem picking up after these folks because I take pride in where I live. From my count there are already 3 stores that sell alcohol within a block of my home, I don't think we need another and would be happy to see them all go. How about some actually retail? Any elected official who lets another liquor be issued in Bloomingdale that's not for a sit down restaurant deserves the boot.

Deanwoodenizen said...

I am dealing with a similar issue in my Deanwood neighborhood. We are nearing the protest hearing and are gathering witnesses for that based on peace, quiet and order disruption. The threatening behavior, over-concentration, and the trash are examples of pqo disruption. Throughout the protest process keep documentation of these incidences and get the 911 call record for the area as documentation. Enlist the area police leadership to testify as well. Don't give in to the voluntary agreement! We need more class C licensees not A and B.

Unknown said...

I spoke with the ABRA & today is the last day to submit a protest to require a hearing. I am submitting one & if you want to sign, email lstanglin@gmail.com and let me know. I need min. of 5 ppl sign it & atleast 5 of those ppl have to attend the hearing (date TBD). I have to submit the scanned copy by end of day to the ABRA. I will be at the ANC meeting tonight. Let me know if you want to coordinate your signature and I can find you at the meeting or meet you at Big Bear afterwards.

JH said...

As a resident who was for BBC getting there liquor license and excited for more bars to come into the neighborhood, I'm having a difficult time reconciling this idea that it's okay for some establishments to sell booze but not for others. The NIBYism in this neighborhood is contradictory and offensive. The Quincy St. resident writes that he had a bad experience on his way home from Rustik Tavern (drinking I imagine) and that was because a drunk guy bought booze from a corner store? I feel that every corner store/market should sell beer, wine, and liquor because it's a store and that's what they do. They should also be able to sell it on Sundays because it's no different then me going to Rustik Sunday morning and drinking Bloody Mary's but for the cost.

Sergey said...

@JH Have you been to that store? Would you shop there for .. for what exactly?

JH said...

Sergey - I shop at a corner store on N. Cap & Bryant (Sun Beam Market). I'm sure it's similar - Asian operated, bullet-proof glass, etc...but you know what it's my corner store and I'm happy to have it. I buy beer, wine, tobacco, lottery, and an occasional frozen meal there. They quickly learned my name, I requested they carry the beer and cigs that I like and now they stock them. But that's not the point...

jbcarron said...

I think there are plenty already in our backyard, so the NIMBY thing doesn't really work here.

Unknown said...

I to a certain point agree with JH, just b/c Rustika is a sit-down, doesn't mean that they will not encounter their issues with ppl seeking liquor or being drunk. Admitidly the corner stores are more convienient for those seeking cheap, quick liquor, but if someone wants to find liquor, they will find it.

I think what needs to be done, is having more visible police & security presence in the neighborhood.

JMack said...

Hello all,
I live on Quincy Pl NW. I’ve been here since 2003....I jumped into my truck a few months ago, started the car and began backing out. I felt a bump and then heard screaming. I knew I hit something. I assumed one of my neighbors was on a bike or walking behind the car. I jump out of the truck...nothing there. I yell "Where are you" and a voice says "I’m under the Truck!" I panic, look under the truck and there is a Drunk man who I guess fell asleep under my truck like a cat, army crawling to get from under it. I got my husband, and the guy just stumbled away refusing help. We called the police. Driving to work I later saw him standing in front of Sunset. I literally ran over him twice because I pulled back up before checking under the car and he's waiting for sunset to open like nothing happened. I suffered after that afraid I was hitting people as I drove for weeks. And I still check under my car before I drive. All that being said, I don’t mind businesses serving alcohol. Especially a place where the irrate person is told to leave when he comes inside. I don’t like Sunset that caters to and welcomes the remnant of alcoholism left in the neighborhood. I think the Establishment dictates how that type of customer is handled. The North Cap store with Hard alcohol Would turn into another Sunset.