From: Lewis, Karla M. (SMD 5E06)
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2020 6:41 PM
Subject: Fw: First St Traffic Calming Update
Karla M. Lewis,
Treasurer ANC 5E (2019-2020)
Commissioner - ANC 5E06
Cell: (410) 705-4070
From: Jeong-Olson, Kelly (DDOT) <Kelly.Jeong-Olson1@dc.gov>
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2020 9:54 AM
To: Cheolas, Nick (SMD 5E01) <5E01@anc.dc.gov>; Williams, Patricia (SMD 5E02) <5E02@anc.dc.gov>; Segmen, Cortney (SMD 5E03) <5E03@anc.dc.gov>; Pinkney, Sylvia (SMD 5E04) <5E04@anc.dc.gov>; Thomas, Bradley Ashton (SMD 5E05) <5E05@anc.dc.gov>; Lewis, Karla M. (SMD 5E06) <5E06@anc.dc.gov>; Holliday, Bertha G. (SMD 5E07) <5E07@anc.dc.gov>; Brannum, Robert (SMD 5E08) <5E08@anc.dc.gov>; Barnes, Dianne (SMD 5E09) <5E09@anc.dc.gov>; Jones, Nancy Darlene (ANC 5E10) <5E10.ANC@dc.gov>; Cislo, Kelley (Council) <KCISLO@DCCOUNCIL.US>; tj quinn <firstname.lastname@example.org>; ReachBloomingdaleCA@gmail.com <ReachBloomingdaleCA@gmail.com>; Miller, Malik (EOM) <Malik.Miller2@dc.gov>; Chestnut, Dominique (EOM) <Dominique.Chestnut@dc.gov>
Cc: Jones, David (DDOT) <email@example.com>; Daniels, Anovia (DDOT) <Anovia.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: First St Traffic Calming Update
Good morning ANC 5E Commission and Bloomindale Civic Association,
I hope you had a wonderful weekend. I am writing to share DDOT’s update on the First St Traffic Calming in the Bloomingdale neighborhood. Below is the message you can simply share with your neighbors and constituents. Thank you in advance for helping us spread the word. I truly appreciate all you do for the community during this difficult time.
Dear Bloomingdale community members,
I hope this email finds you safe and healthy. This is to provide a quick update on the First St Traffic Calming plan. Below is a list of things DDOT has already completed and will be completing in the next few weeks.
1. Flex-post installation: DDOT installed flex-post curb extensions at nine intersections along First St NW in Feb 2020.
o R St
o Randolph St
o S St
o Seaton Pl
o U St (complete with striping and mural)
o V St
o W St
o Adams St
o Bryant St
2. Line striping for curb extensions: The original plan included striping along with the flex-posts, which have been delayed due to the health emergency. To fully implement the original plan, DDOT will complete the striping installation at all intersections in the next few weeks.
3. Flex-post adjustment: We received a lot of feedback regarding the # of flex-posts (i.e. too many flex-posts). To address this, DDOT will be removing flex-posts along side-streets (Randolph, S, Seaton, U, V, W, Adams and Bryant; except for R St), while keeping them along the First St NW. In other words, each intersection will still have the full curb extension with the line (striping), but flex-posts will only remain on First St side.
4. Beautification: DDOT will be working with Bloomingdale Civic Association (BCA) to place planters at each or preferred intersections. DDOT will provide planters, but BCA will lead the maintenance effort. DDOT and BCA will work on a written agreement.
5. R St intersection: We received community feedback, as well as an ANC resolution, regarding this specific intersection in terms of various challenges including stop sign running issue, especially on First St NW. To address this, DDOT is planning on installing solar-powered LED stop signs (see attached photo) on First St in the next few weeks. As indicated in #2, DDOT will not remove flex-posts on R St at this moment and will re-evaluate once the LED stop signs are installed.
Thank you for your continued engagement. We look forward to continuing to work with you.
K. Kelly Jeong-Olson
Community Engagement Specialist – Ward 5
Office of the Director
District Department of Transportation
55 M Street SE, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20003