From: Markets & More
Date: August 7, 2020 at 6:42:23 PM EDT
Subject: Another big Tom sale and so much fruit!
Hi there, Swirly Girl cheesemakers, Mark and Sara
Hi BFM fans
of things going on this week. Mark and Sara did a really charming
interview with Jonathan Bardzik on his Instagram. It is nice to see the
faces behind the masks again and find out how they came to be independent
cheesemakers and what makes their cheeses special?
Canners and "Freezers", there will also be another big tomato sale this week at Garner's Produce; a box of mixed Romas (Firsts) - 25 pounds/$30. Reserve by email.
How does Shenandoah keep their summer crisp head lettuce so sweet in the heat--
I often avoid green lettuce in the summer because it does not like the heat but
theirs is wonderful.
Reid now has FOUR summer apples; Earligold, Zestar, Pristine and Paula Reds. And lots of peaches and berries. But not just fruit -- check out the vegetables as well.
Flowers: Garner is bringing Monkey Balls.
NEW or notable this week:
- Lots of Heirloom Toms at Shenandoah Seasonal- German Stripeys, Cherokee Purple, Red Brandywines-- I have been slicing one for lunch every day,
- Chileheads: lots of different hot peppers at Shenandoah, Garner
- Sweet, heat-tolerant lettuce heads at Shenandoah
- Hot Peppers- shishito, poblanos, serranos, jalapenos, Hungarian yellow wax and more.
- Yard-long beans -- stir fry them as people do in Asia.
- New Potatoes
- Sweet Onions
- Cantaloup and other Melons-- so good sprinkled with lime
- Nik Sharma's quickly pickled nectarines with or without the chicken thighs marinated in mint, scallions and yogurt was a revelation. (Jeff made it for us last night)
SHENANDOAH SEASONAL: lots and lots of heirloom tomatoes-- just slice, salt and eat those Brandywines, German Stripeys and Cherokee Purples as well as the baby Juliets. Baby Swiss chard, peashoots, salad mix, summer crisp lettuce, bok choi, zesty radishes, celerty, eets, herbs. Little Finger eggplants, Hungarian hot wax peppers, shishito and mixed variety of bell peppers.
Pre Order at https://www.shenandoahseasonal.com/shop
GARNER'S PRODUCE: Orders for Saturday by 7pm Friday f you want one of their seasonal boxes: Be sure to mark BFM when you order, https://www.garnersproduce.com/dcmarket-pickup.
They will also pack what you ask for at the stand : Bicolor Corn this week. Peppers in various shapes and heat and colors, eggplants. Swiss chard, citrusy purslane great with tomatoes, kales, various types of squash and zucchini, collard, tomatoes (early girls, cherry, heirloom), spring onions, loose onions, stir fry greens, Salad mix, lettuce mix, cabbages, carrots, cukes, radishes, Napa, arrow, Savoy, regular green round), garlic Stone ground grits and cornmeal, hot pepper jelly. Hot sauces. Some herb plants. berries: blackberries and raspberries
Squash blossoms this week. Green and wax beans back. basil. cilantro. Melons!
GROFF'S CONTENT: Lots of cuts of beef, pork and chicken this week at the stand this week
PANORAMA ARTISANAL BAKERY: Two French bakers means baguettes, croissants and French inspired breads. Lots of breakfast pastries too. The breads freeze well in foil and a freezer bag.
KING MUSHROOM FARM: Pre order available at http://kingmushroomfarm.com. Order by FRIDAY for Sunday pickup at BFM. Shiitake, maitake, cremini, portobello, exotic mix, lion's mane, king trumpet, chestnut, oyster...Yes, you can order at the stand too. Grill those mushrooms.
REID'S ORCHARD AND WINERY: Wonderful stone fruit and berries. Blueberries, blackberries, sugar plums Red Haven yellow peaches, White Lady white peaches, Summer Beaut yellow nectarines, Jade white nectarines, Saturn Whit donut peaches. The first summer apples. Green and yellow beans, 6 kinds of summer squash including Cocazelle Italian zucchini, cukes, cherry tomatoes, Heirloom tomatoes and yes, herbs to plants from the greenhouse! Not too late. Their region famous cider, honey, apple and fruit butters.
WHISKED: Tuesday was National Chocolate Chip Day but you can still buy theirs-- they have three varieties.
6 Pack Cookies: Chocolate Chip, Salty Oatmeal, Molasses Spice, Hazelnut Swirl, Snickerdoodle, Pretzel Cowboy, Assorted, Flourless Mexican Chocolate (GF), VEGAN: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Lemon Poppyseed, Chocolate Blackout.
YES, of course there are LOTS OF PIES TOO. Cherry, Apple, Chocolate Chess, Strawberry Rhubab, Key Lime.
The POPUP CHINESE STREET MARKET: (AKA Those DUMPLINGS) Handmade dumplings, buns, shumai, dandan noodles kits, chili oil sauce, East Asian staple meals.
NUMBER 1 SONS: At the stand: Cucumber Pickles and hot sauces and kombucha and
kimchi and krauts.Half Sour, Crisp Kosher, Honey Habaneros, Sunny Dills, Super
Sours, District Dills. Sons Kimchi, Kicky Kimchi, Mustard Kraut, Clean
Kraut. cider Masala Beets, Giardiniera, Spring Asparagus. Kombucha: Original
Ginger, Lavender Fizz, Turmeric Tang, Peach Kombucha.
SWIRLY GIRL CREAMERY Here are a few of the cheeses to look forward to on Sunday. Mark K is your guide. Are you ready for a Greek Salad with tomatoes, cucumber and WHIPPED feta? Yes, whip their feta and you will be delighted by what this simple change in texture does. Mark also likes to spread Winter morning on cucumbers
- Morbier: this semi soft cow cheese with a layer of vegetable ash is a shout out to one of my favorite French cheeses and caused a formal French Diplomat to get so riled she threw a basket of it AT Mark. He explains why in the interview I linked in the first sentence to the email. He is bringing lots to market Sunday so you can find out why for yourself.
- Winter Morning is their most popular, a bloomy rind cheese that Mark loves to spread.
- Feta, Tomato Basil Bovre and Farmhouse cow cheeses are all great with pasta -- or on crackers.
- You like Funky cheese, they have Firetruck and Cowttin. Firetruck is a salty, hard, grater, Cowttin is similar to a triple cream. The longer you keep it, the funkier it gets. Very French.
CUCINA AL VOLO: Want a cold pasta salad? The green
kale fusilli spirals are the very best -- they capture every little bit of
cheese, meats and vegetables. See the recipe at the top of the email. Pesto
Pasta is another great idea. Burrata and Butternut Squash Ravioli is an all
seasons fave to keep in your freezer.
Remember that a Pasta Primavera with bits of fresh vegetables is a classic, light dish.
Here is the list:
- Burrata ravioli
- Spinach and ricotta ravioli
- Beef brisket and Parmesan ravioli
- Roasted butternut squash and mascarpone ravioli
- Egg fettuccine
- Smoked paprika pappardelle
- Green kale fusilli
- Squid ink chitarra
- Egg strozzapreti
- Hand made potato gnocchi
- Eggplant Parmesan (Take and Bake)
- Beef lasagna (Take and Bake)
- Lamb ragu
- Bolognese sauce
- Cherry tomato sauce
- Wild mushroom sauce
- Eggplant sauce
Robin and Ted