From: Robin Shuster
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2020 11:33 PM
Subject: Lots of tomatoes this week at BFM
Hi BFM fans
This will be a great week for all kinds of beatiful tomatoes, for every purpose. Be sure to try Bonnie Benwick's top choices from 9 years of selecting the winners of the WaPo Tomato recipe contests. Here they are: Caprese Granita, Tomato Kimchi, Smoked Tomato and Crawfish Gratin anyone?
NEW or notable this week:
- First Heirloom Toms at Shenandoah Seasonal- German Stripeys, Cherokee Purple, Red Branywines
- Chileheads: lots of different hot peppers at Shenandoah, Garner
- CELERY - the real, tasty type not the pallid supermarket one.
- Peaches, Nectarines, Plums
- Finger eggplants - petite version of purple Italian eggplants
- Sweet, heat-tolerant lettuce heads
- Hot Peppers- shishito, poblanos, serranos, jalapenos and more.
- New Potatoes
- Sweet Onions
- Cantaloup and other Melons-- so good sprinkled with lime
Shenandoah Seasonal: lots of heirloom tomatoes-- just slice, salt and eat those Brandywines, German Stripeys and Cherokee Purples as well as the baby Juliets. Baby Swiss chard, peashoots, salad mix, summer crisp lettuce, bok choi, zesty radishes, celerty, eets, herbs. Little Finger eggplants, Hungarian hot wax peppers, shishito and mixed variety
PRODUCE: Tomato Sale. Bicolor Corn this week. Peppers in various shapes
and heat and colors, eggplants. Swiss chard, citrusy purslane great with
tomatoes, kales, various types of squash and zucchini, collard, tomatoes (early
girls, cherry, heirloom), spring onions, loose onions, stir fry greens,
Salad mix, lettuce mix, cabbages, carrots, cukes, radishes, Napa, arrow, Savoy,
regular green round), garlic Stone ground grits and cornmeal, hot pepper jelly.
Hot sauces. Some herb plants. berries: blackberries and raspberries
Squash blossoms this week. Green and wax beans back. basil. cilantro. Melons!
GROFF's CONTENT: Lots of cuts of beef, pork and chicken this week at the stand this week...
Panorama Artisanal Bakery: Two French bakers means baguettes, croissants and French inspired breads. Lots of breakfast pastries too
KING MUSHROOM FARM: Shiitake, maitake, cremini, portobello, exotic mix, lion's mane, king trumpet, chestnut, oyster...Yes, you can order at the stand too. Grill those mushrooms.
REID’S ORCHARD: Apples: Earli Gold, Pristine, Zestar!
Fresh Picked Fruit: Blueberries Blackberries. Black & Red Currants, Methley Sugar Plums.Peaches: Glen Glow Yellow Peaches, Manon White Peaches, Jade White Nectarines, Saturn White Donut Peaches.Green Beans, Yellow Beans Dark Green Zucchini, Cocozella Italian Zucchini, Green Zucchini, Golden Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Pattypan Squash, Pickling Cucumbers, Slicer Cucumbers, Heirloom Tomatoes, Sunsugar Cherry Tomatoes, other types of cherry tomtoes, Green Bell Peppers.
From The Green House Plants: African Blue Basil, Genovese Italian Basil, Lemon Basil, Thai Basil, Prostrate Rosemary, Greek Oregano, Hot & Spicy Oregano, Green Sage, Purple Sage, Golden Variegated Sage, Chives, Lemon Grass, Lemon Verbena, Lemon Balm, English Thyme, Golden Lemon Thyme, Curry Plant, Curled Parsley, Sweet Marjoram, Spearmint, Kentucky Colonel Mint, Mojito Mint, Chocolate Mint, Peppermint, Dill, Cilantro, Catmint, Catnip, Rhubarb plants.
WHISKED: They say: Next
Tuesday is NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DAY! (Robin says: Who knew?!))
CELEBRATE WITH FRIENDS, FAMILY AND COOKIES BY WHISKED.
6 Pack Cookies: Chocolate Chip, Salty Oatmeal, Molasses Spice, Hazelnut Swirl, Snickerdoodle, Pretzel Cowboy, Assorted, Flourless Mexican Chocolate (GF), VEGAN: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Lemon Poppyseed, Chocolate Blackout.
YES, of course there are LOTS OF PIES TOO.
CHINESE STREET MARKET POPUP Dan Dan Noodles kit. Great dumplings.
NUMBER 1 SONS: At the stand: Cucumber Pickles and hot
sauces and kombucha and kimchi and krauts.
Half Sour, Crisp Kosher, Honey Habaneros, Sunny Dills, Super Sours, District Dills. Sons Kimchi, Kicky Kimchi, Mustard Kraut, Clean Kraut. cider Masala Beets, Giardiniera, Spring Asparagus. Kombucha: Original Ginger, Lavender Fizz, Turmeric Tnag, Peach Kombucha.
SWIRLY GIRL CREAMERY Here are a few of the cheeses to look forward to on Sunday. Mark K is your guide. Are you ready for a Greek Salad with tomatoes, cucumber and WHIPPED feta? Yes, whip their feta and you will be delighted by what this simple change in texture does.
- Morbier: this semi soft cow cheese with a layer of vegetable ash is a shout out to one of my favorite French cheeses.
- Winter Morning is their most popular, a bloomy rind cheese
- Feta, Tomato Basil Bovre and Farmhouse cow cheeses are all great with pasta -- or on crackers.
- You like Funky cheese, they have Mooster, Firetruck and Cowttin. Mooster is soft and spreadable and melts well. Firetruck is a salty, hard, grater, Cowttin is similar to a triple cream. The longer you keep it, the funkier it gets.
Cucina Al Volo: Want a cold pasta salad? The green kale fusilli spirals are the very best -- they capture every little bit of cheese, meats and vegetables. See the recipe at the top of the email. Pesto Pasta is another great idea. Burrata and Butternut Squash Ravioli is an all seasons fave to keep in your freezer.
Remember that a Pasta Primavera with bits of fresh vegetables is a classic, light dish.
Here is the list:
- Burrata ravioli
- Spinach and ricotta ravioli
- Beef brisket and Parmesan ravioli
- Roasted butternut squash and mascarpone ravioli
- Egg fettuccine
- Smoked paprika pappardelle
- Green kale fusilli
- Squid ink chitarra
- Egg strozzapreti
- Hand made potato gnocchi
- Eggplant Parmesan (Take and Bake)
- Beef lasagna (Take and Bake)
- Lamb ragu
- Bolognese sauce
- Cherry tomato sauce
- Wild mushroom sauce
- Eggplant sauce
Robin and Ted