See this message from ANC 5E08 Commissioner Mark Mueller:
I have been getting a small flood of emails from community asking about ANC5E`s vote to send a letter of support for the McMillan Development. Rather than answer each email, I`m sending this bulleted fact list regarding ANC5E vote last night.
- Commissioner Barnes did not supply a draft letter to the Commission before or during the ANC meeting, so the Board approved a letter they did not see. No draft is available for the community
- No Civic Association around McMillan (Stronghold & Bloomingdale) were approached for input on such a support letter.
- Commissioner Quinn (also President of Bloomingdale Civic Association) stated that she is against such a letter since the Civic Association did not have time to give input on most recent plan.
- The vote goes against ANC5E Bylaws, which state:Section 8. Commissioners shall seek the support/non-support of their respective civic association(s) prior to requesting placement of a developer or anyone seeking ANC 5E support on the ANC 5E agenda for a vote.
- Bloomingdale Commissioners Mark Mueller and Teri Janine Quinn protested such a letter at this time
- Commissioner Mueller stated also that a letter of pure support does a disservice to the community we are supposed to be advocating for if it does not state clearly the unmet community wishes/demands.
- Commissioner Barnes (also Chair of the McMillan Advisory Group (MAG)), surprised the MAG Board on Nov 14 with a Letter of pure Support, which the MAG Board strongly voted against at this time.
- A support letter goes against quantitative evidence that there are major community concerns
Reasons given for supporting the letter by Commissioner Smith-Steiner:
- 6000 petition signatures,
- 900 community surveys,
- many protest emails against the support letter,
- overwhelming majority spoke against land surplus at the Mayor's surplus meeting
- There has not been any quantitative proof of majority support
- Councilman McDuffie supports it
- This has been going on a long time